Silly Squad - Summer Reading Challenge 2020
Cheshire West and Chester Libraries are excited to be taking part in this year’s all-new digital Summer Reading Challenge which is organised by The Reading Agency.
The Challenge will be available on the Silly Squad website
, through the Reading Agency Facebook page
and, coming shortly, through a special Cheshire West webpage and via social media. This will include details of online events and activities that we will be hosting over the summer.
The theme this year is ‘Silly Squad’ which will offer families a chance to have fun and encourages children to read anything that makes them happy. Children will meet the Silly Squad; a loveable bunch of animals who run a fantastic fun house. But beware: a mysterious baddy is waiting to spoil the fun! Children taking part online will find out more about the fantastic characters and will unlock digital rewards, activities and video content as rewards for their reading.
The Challenge launches virtually on Friday 5 June and will run throughout the summer until September and children can take part for free.
The Reading Challenge has a star-studded list of ambassadors, which includes: CBBC presenters Sam and Mark; children's author Jacqueline Wilson; comedian and TV presenter Paul O'Grady; Waterstones Children's Laureate Cressida Cowell; comedian and author David Baddiel; TV adventurer Ben Fogle; former Blue Peter presenter and children's author Konnie Huq; performance poet Joseph Coelho and CBBC's Hacker T Dog reunited with Radio 1's Katie Thistleton. They are joined by children's authors including Rob Biddulph, Philip Ardagh, Guy Bass, Steven Butler, Gareth P Jones, J M Joseph, Jennifer Killick and Silly Squad illustrator Laura Ellen Anderson, all of whom have books in the official Silly Squad book collection. Founder of The Shed School Ashley Bates, illustrator Johanna Basford OBE, actress and comedian Samantha Baines, author and game designer Gabrielle Kent, plus bestselling authors David McKee, Milly Johnson, Dorothy Koomson, Kit de Waal and Kate Clanchy MBE are also offering their support for the campaign.
National events include:
- CBBC's Sam and Mark kick-off the party with their unique brand of 'silly' fun.
- Readings and jokes from authors including David Baddiel, Ben Fogle, Philip Ardagh, Paul O'Grady, Konnie Huq and Samantha Baines.
- Silly Time with the BBC's Katie Thistleton and Hacker T Dog.
- Draw-a-Longs with official Summer Reading Challenge illustrator Laura Ellen Anderson, and Rob Biddulph.
- Magic Tricks and Mind-Bending Maths with Mr Bates from The Shed School.
- Poetry with performance poet and playwright Joseph Coelho.
- Crafts, colour and creativity with the original queen of colouring, Johanna Basford.
- Bedtime Reading session with actor Charlie Condou reading from This is Gus by Chris Chatterton, published by Macmillan Children's Books.
- Unveiling of the official 'Let's Get Silly!' theme song by Harry Baker and Chris Read.
Cheshire West and Chester Libraries will be offering a range of events including dance, crafts, drams, storytelling and more.
Please look out for more information coming soon including posts on Twitter @cwaclibraries
and on Facebook @cwaclibrary
Here you will also find lots of interesting items and activities for both adults and children such as competitions, online rhyme-times and story-times, book reviews, Lego challenges, STEM and craft activities and much more. Those children without online access will also be provided for through resources provided by the Reading Agency and locally.