23 June 2022
Cheshire West and Chester Council has worked with travel partners to arrange free travel for Armed Forces personnel and veterans for Armed Forces Day this weekend.
The Cheshire West and Chester Enhanced Partnership is an agreement between the Council and local bus operators to work together to improve local bus services.
The partnership has a clear vision of the improvements needed and the accompanying actions to achieve them. The Council had a formal responsibility to form the partnership, which was established on 20 April 2022.
The Council’s Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Environment, Highways and Strategic Transport, Councillor Karen Shore said: “Our Bus Service Improvement Plan did not receive any Government funding but we are determined to make a difference to the travelling public with the means and ways we have available.
“Recognising the vitally important role the Armed Forces and veterans play, a number of operators from the partnership are offering free public transport, community transport or eScooter journeys to say thank you. The Council is offering free travel on Chester’s Park & Ride services.
“I’d like to thank all the companies involved for supporting this. I know passenger numbers have not yet reached pre-pandemic level and they really value our custom.”
Some of the travel offers available this weekend include:
Check your local operator’s website to see if there are other offers available, check time tables if planning to travel by rail this weekend.
- Changing Lives Together is going to offer free dial-a-rides to those from the Armed Forces, a valid identity card would be needed. Telephone: 01606 784100 to book.
- Nationally, Stagecoach is offering free travel during the weekend of 25 and 26 June. Any serving personnel in uniform or on proof of military ID or a Veteran wearing medals, or a Veterans badge, will be allowed free travel.
- Arriva is offering free travel on Saturday 25 June 2022. Simply show the driver your Armed Forces identification card, Armed Forces Veteran identification card or MOD issued Veteran’s Badge.
- Warrington’s Own Buses will offer free travel on 25 June 2022.
- Ginger Scooters in Chester offer two free trips per day to Armed Forces personnel. For more information search ‘offers’.
- The Armed Forces community which includes serving personnel including regulars, reservists, Cadet Force Adult Volunteers and veterans - together with their immediate families can travel free on Chester's Park and Ride services.
Discuss this article
Please see terms below before using this feature
Please be aware that the facility above is a Facebook service, posting your views will make some of your Facebook information visible to everyone (as with any Facebook activity).
The system administrators (VISAV Limited) monitor the content added. Any misuse or objectionable material should be reported to firstname.lastname@example.org
The views expressed do not represent the views of the system administrators who are VISAV Limited, the Police, Neighbourhood Watch and other Information Provider using this service. The System Administrators make no guarantee, endorsement and accept no liability, regarding the discussion service above, including, but not limited to, its availability, accuracy, currency, content, quality or lack of objectionable or offensive content.